Monthly guild meetings feature informative programs, updates on guild business, member news, and Show and Tell.
We meet the 2nd Wednesday, 9:30 a.m. at University Baptist Church, Kelley Hall, 3200 Arlington Loop, Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
Members and Dues
A member is anyone who has paid annual dues of $20 per calendar year. Renewing members should pay their annual dues during October-December. Visitors are welcome at any meeting, but after two visits a person who wishes to continue attending should join the guild.
Dues are not prorated for those who join or renew during the year, with this exception: A person who joins after October 1 will have membership through the following calendar year.
Contact the membership director at PBQMembership@gmail.com.
For Pine Belt Quilters to be a successful organization, each of its members has certain responsibilities:
· Contact Group: Participate in the assigned group at one guild meeting during the year.
· Mark Attendance: Check yourself in at the Attendance table at guild meetings. A perfect attendance drawing is held once a year based on Attendance Records.
· Guild Quilt Fundraiser: Sell at least 20 tickets each year to support the guild’s fundraiser activities.
· Boutique: Sew at least one item to be sold at the Boutique during the quilt show or showcase.
· Community Sewing: Contribute to the guild’s community outreach activities by sewing a quilt each year and/or other items (pillows, walker totes, NICU isolette covers, etc.).
· Guild Activities and Leadership: Consider how you can support the guild and its members by taking on a leadership role. Examples include exhibit organization, committee leadership, contact group leadership, election as officer, etc
After a few informal meetings to locate people interested in forming a quilt guild, about 25 women met in October 1984 and found enough enthusiasm and drive to form Pine Belt Quilters. Four of us volunteered to become the first officers and write bylaws and set up a plan for monthly meetings: Doris Aultman, president; Martha Ginn, vice president; Susan (Ryan) Kelley, secretary; and Gail Rowland, treasurer. One of our first goals was to hold a “real” quilt show, with judges and ribbons, so in 1985 we mounted a beautiful display at the Parish Hall of Trinity Episcopal Church.
Our membership grew and we added Community Sew Days and skill building workshops to our monthly educational meetings. In 1987 we began holding our quilt shows at the Jackie Dole Community Center in Downtown Hattiesburg until we outgrew this space and were invited to use Hattiesburg’s beautiful new convention center in 2008. We held our 17th Biennial Fiber Art & Quilt Show at Lake Terrace Convention Center in October 2018 before being interrupted by COVID. We held a Member’s Exhibit at Hattiesburg Cultural Center in June 2022 and have another planned for April 20, 2024.